Things are off to a good start here on the blog, and I am thrilled to have some followers already. Thank you, and I have added you and your great blogs to my blog roll. I enjoyed reading your wine and winery reviews and learning about more wines I haven’t had. Keep it coming.
A few hours after I wrote my blog entry on the Russian River Valley Pinot Noir the other night, I was again remarking on the prickly alcohol and said out loud, “this has to be at least 13 1/2 %”. I took a look at the label and guess what, 13.5% abv! That made me feel good, to be sure. Clearly all that studying and tasting blind and otherwise has paid off. For $12.95 this is a good bottle.
I thought Sunday would be a good day to talk about some fun wine art. As part of my rabid enthusiasm for all things wine, I have had a taste for cork art recently. There’s a million and half projects out there from holiday wreaths, reindeer and candle holders to more elaborate sculptures, trivets and even large pieces of furniture (although most of those you can’t really make yourself). With a decent collection of corks at my disposal, I was eager to try a few of the ‘try-this-at-home’ projects, and get the family involved. Last Christmas we made a few reindeer using some corks, toothpicks and googly eyes from a tutorial I found online. The wreath projects I found online were impressive but I was actually short on corks as these required a few hundred corks at least. Also, it really was quite complicated and elaborate and not so kid-friendly. I saw a few in some boutique shops that may just be easier to buy, but lets see how daring I feel this year. So for now, the reindeer fit the bill perfectly and made for a quick, cute, and festive decoration. Have a look at my results (above).
I also found some of the wine spectator cork trivet kits in the wine shop and I admit I have wanted one of these for a while. It actually took almost a week of reordering and moving around all the corks until I was happy with the arrangement. Also, I wanted to make sure the labels and names were visible as much as possible, and any other unique and interesting art or text. Then it was just about an hour with a glue gun to lay it all in place. My only comment would be that there’s more space in between them in some places than I’d like, but with the diversity in sizes and shapes of corks, and the bottles they came from, I suppose there’s no real way to make any and all corks fit snugly in every case. Once I got over that I got down to the fun. While I don’t think its shop-quality craftsmanship (my handiwork, not the product itself), it was a fun creative experience and every time I look at it, those corks will tell their stories and remind me of when I drank those wines. And that’s the best part. I have another one I intend to do with more expert results once I have stocked up again on enough corks, which shouldn’t be quite as long with the two cases that just showed up.